Sunday, August 23, 2009

August 2009




August 2009
Garden activities this month were:
Level the ground and put clear plastic sheets on to solarize the ground and kill grass.
I went to the Tree Doctors stock pile of wood chippings and got a trailer load of chips. When I got home I found that the guy loading my trailer scooped up a lot of dirt and clods. I sifted through the whole pile getting rid of the dirt clods the best I could then ran it through the new chipper/shredder that I bought.
I built 3 grow boxes. (See Grow Box) One out of wood and two out of cinder block and filled them with the chips I had made, mixed with some manure, sand and commercial fertilizer.
Bought 12 tomato plants. 4 died almost immediately due to the heat.
I made a shade and hope to have saved the rest.
Sprouted a bunch of broccoli seed, (using the Rinse & Drain method) transferred them to little planters and they all died.
Tried sprouting onion seed I had harvested. None of it sprouted. Why?
At the moment I feel pretty low on confidence that I know what I am doing.
Purchased and received a bunch of seeds from Henry Fields seed company.

1 comment:

  1. Gourdman, never let your confidence waiver! You are the greatest gourd person ever!

    ReplyDelete