Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December 2009

December 5 a cold front came through followed by 2 weeks of fairly cold weather. Most of the peas froze before we had a chance to harvest anything. We did harvest a few green beans. The butternut squash seems to be taking the freeze surprizingly well. Things effected badly by the frost were: Green beans, peas, acorn squash, zuchini squash, cilantro, tomatoes, bell pepper.

We are harvesting: Bunching Onions, lettuce, beets, cilantro, parsley, chard and carrots. I also harvested 1000s of Marigold seed. The turnips, peas, brocolli and cabbage are growing nicely. The sweet peas are finally starting to bloom and are a beautiful red color.

The granex onions are doing well. They are about 6 inches tall and just about ready to spreadout into a larger area. Here is a current video clip. I made a mistake saying I planted Nov 15. I really planted them on October 15 and hope to harvest 15 June.

I am washing and sterilizing plastic cups that I used before for starts. I plan on starting tomatoes and other things in the house next month to get a head start on the spring garden.

Here are pictures. of what the garden looks like in December 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment